Currently Reading

Currently reading: Vulture by Bex Hogan.

Monday 13 September 2010

The BFG by Roald Dahl [Review]

"The well-loved story of a big friendly giant who spirits a child out of bed to the land of the child-eating giants. This edition has a great new cover by Quentin Blake as well as a whole new exciting end section about Roald Dahl and his world."


Perhaps one of the most magical of Roald Dahl's stories, The BFG is one of my all-time favourite books. The giant is perhaps one of his most loveable characters and so enchanting. The way he speaks, the things he says, hit attitude in contrast to the other giants. He's just brilliant.


I remember reading this book quite a few times as I've grown up. And every time, the terrible giants scare me. The Fleshlumpeater, The Bloodbottler, The Gizzardgulper and The Childchewer to name a few struck fear into me when reading it! With names like that, anyone would be scared, right?


 One of my favourite scenes has to be when Sophie meets the queen. And Sophie! She's a brilliant little character. I like that she was inspired by Roald's real life grand-daughter, Sophie Dahl. It just shows how much care he puts into his work.


This book, along with a few others (namely Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) showcase his imagination to the full. The words he created. The places. He was a very very clever man and it's books like this that really show that. I remember giggling reading about whizpops and snozzwanglers all through my childhood, and I think this is what also appeals to the children that continue to adore his writing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment